Thursday, September 20, 2012

Another Day in Dallas

It's just after 5pm. My partner is riding with another driver back to the motel. I have spent much of the day monitoring our Qualcomm computer, actively waiting for a load assignment. Every couple of hours, I sent a message or made a phone call - reminding our dispatchers that we were still waiting for a load assignment. It's not likely that they would forget about us, but it has happened a few times in recent years. My boss eventually messaged us to let us know that they are doing their best to get us a load toward home (as we are supposed to be there tomorrow), but the freight market is excessively "soft" today. Just a few minutes ago, a beverage load was assigned to us. It will be ready tomorrow morning in Fort Worth & delivers to Clarksville, Arkansas. There is a fair chance that they will send us home after that - either with an empty trailer or as a bobtail. (You remember what those terms mean, right?)

Today, my dad posted an old pic to Facebook. It was my high school senior picture. I copied it to my status, where several comments & "likes" we're received. Some of my friends could barely believe that it's actually me. I look so different now.

Dad & Mark returned to Shawnee, Oklahoma yesterday. I followed him for a portion of their trip via Glympse. Grandma is probably glad to have them back in town. I haven't heard from her in a few weeks. Tonight would be a good opportunity to remedy that.

The end of the bonus quarter is coming around soon. My fellow Schneider drivers understand that feeling of anticipation & worry. My idling percentage is a little high, but my overall performance score is exceptional. Recent policy changes have me a little confused about how the performance bonus is decided upon. It is harder to achieve a bonus than it was in previous years. All I know is that I did my very best & that I have a few more days to reduce that engine idle percentage. To keep cool today, I've kept my truck doors wide open to allow the breeze to flow through. Almost every passing driver, instructor & student took a glimpse into my open truck as they walked by. Peekaboo! I attempted a picture of them glancing my way. They were camera-shy. Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment