Saturday, March 2, 2013

ANNUAL TRAINING / SAFE-TRACK

GARY, INDIANA

I was overdue for my annual training. Victor was way overdue for his "Safe-Track" training. Our DBL (boss) finally got us scheduled for our respective requirements this past Thursday morning, at 7:00.

Annual training is a once-a-year event that is supposed to be scheduled near a drivers hire-date anniversary. Mine was January 25, 2002. An instructor was assigned to review my logbooks & personnel record. If there are any violations or other areas that need improvement, the instructor would address those issues. And, of course, there is the Pre-Trip Inspection test & Road Check. It's virtually the same as a CDL test. I did fine in all categories, except I was mildly scolded for not keeping a better eye out for my partner's logbook mistakes. I suspect they were halfway kidding.

Victor was also scheduled for training at 7am. Our company tests & trains new drivers several times within their first year of employment. "Safe-Track" is what they call one of these sessions. While there were a number of relatively minor logbook issues he was confronted about, I was so glad they didn't bother him about his errors from before he started teaming with me. They were numerous. After I got beck from my driving test, Victor & his instructor took the truck around the yard for slow-maneuvering tests & instruction.

Since we both started our workdays at 7am, our driving schedule was skewed. I had to stop early to comply with the onerous 14-hour rule. We were under a load going to Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania.

Victor was required to complete a sleep survey, then to compete an online training session. To comply with the sleep-apnea survey, his instructor had to measure his neck size.

No comments:

Post a Comment