Thursday, March 15, 2012

MUCH-DESERVED

At this moment, I am sitting in a truck stop TV room, near Jackson, Mississippi. In a few minutes, I will walk back to the truck to see if we have a work assignment.

We are just wrapping up a day off of the road - to reset our 70-hour clock. We had to decline a sweet load to Seattle on Tuesday, due to insufficient hours to get it there legally. That 70-hour law really throws a wrench in things. At the same time, I quietly enjoy the legal mandate to stop and participate in the pleasures of life.

My co-driver spend the night at a nearby motel, while I chose to get my beauty sleep in the truck. Living on a budget, I chose to spend my motel cash on restaurant meals and a new pair of boots.

Yesterday, I took a 2-mile hike to the occupational shoe & boot store. After about twenty minutes of browsing, I found a pair of boots that agreed with my feet. Just like a little kid, I wore my new boots to the cash register, and out of the store. Since my previous boots were beyond repair, I had the store clerk dispose of them, along with the box for the new boots.
I took a different route back to the truckstop, breaking my boots in on a variety of terrain. It's a good thing I had credit for several showers on my "frequent fueler" card. I was smelling as exhausted as I felt by the time I got back.
Since I don't eat out that frequently, I thoroughly enjoyed a few meals at the Denny's lunch counter. Other drivers congregate there, and we engage in light conversation throughout our meals. I generally don't participate in political talk, but I did last night - and nobody went away with a black eye. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment